FORT St ANGELOS

thalassery fort

It is located at a distance of 3km away from the west of Kannur town. The fort was built in 1505 by Francisco De Almeida. It is also known as Kannur fort. It is massive triangular laterite fort replete with a moat and flanking bastions. In 1663, the Dutch trapped the fort from the Portuguese and sold it to Ali Raja of Kannur. In 1790 it is under the control of British and equipped it to be most important military station in Malabar. Today St Angelos fort protected under the Archaeological survey of India. The fort offers enchanting view of Moppila bay, the natural fishing bay and Dharmadom Island, which is spread over 5 acres in area. The rough sea and inland water are separated by the sea wall projected from the fort which looks amazing. Today the bay has become into the modern fishing harbor developed under the Indo-Norwegian Pact.

Timings : Open from 8.00am to 6.00pm.

Getting there

By air: Karipur International Airport, Kozhikode about 93 km away from the fort.

By rail:Kannur railway station is about 3km away.

All Rights Recerved @ Sail To Kerala | Web Design By Orange Dice