PALAKKAD FORT

palakkad fort

Palakkad fort is also known as Tipu’s fort. It was constructed in 1766 by Haider Ali. This ancient fort is situated in the heart of the Palakkad town. The fort is spread over an area of around 60702.84 sq m. The fort is famous for its architecture which exhibits the workmanship of the French engineers. Till the beginning of 18th century Palakkad achan the local ruler ruled over this fort for a long time. In 1757 he sent his soldiers to Haider Ali to inquire help against Zamorins. Haider Ali diplomatically beat the fort himself and ruled over it till 1790. It is one of the well preserved forts in India. Today it is a protected monument under the Archaeological Survey of India. The fort and Palakkad town hall is separated by large ground properly known as Kota Maidanam. Presently the garden is used for hosting exhibitions, public meetings, competitions, cricket matches and stable for elephants and horses of Tipu Sultan’s army. The fort is square shaped and it is supported by walls and bastions located in the four corners. Earlier the main entrance of the fort was a draw bridge. Now the draw bridge has been replaced by strong and permanent bridge. A hanuman temple, a sub jail and a martyr’s column is also located inside the fort. The Jainmedu Temple, Kumarapuram Temple, Manapullivaku and Vadakkanthara Temple lie around the fort.

Timings: 9am- 5pm

Getting there:

By air: : Nearest airport Coimbatore which is about 55km from Palakkad town

By rail:Nearest railway station Palakkad about 5km

All Rights Recerved @ Sail To Kerala | Web Design By Orange Dice